I used to eat pesto all of the time before going vegan. I would have it in stir-fry’s, pasta dishes, on pizza… the list goes on. When I learned that it had dairy in it I was super bummed until I realized wait… I can veganize anything! So I searched out an old recipe I used to love and adapted it so that I could enjoy the pleasures of pesto too. A few people have already made this recipe and said that they love it, so I hope you too will enjoy it!
What you’ll need:
VEGAN PARMESAN CHEESE
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3 large garlic cloves (or 4 small)
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup of vegan parmesan cheese (recipe above)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- drop of water to thin (optional)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup brown rice penne pasta (cooked according to package)
- 1 handful of arugula
- Add all of your parmesan cheese ingredients to a food processor and blend. Store in an airtight container.
- Blend all pesto ingredients in a food processor until thoroughly combined. Add a drop of water if you’d like to thin it out (I used about a tbsp).
- Cook your pasta according to the package. The type of pasta you use is entirely up to you. I used brown rice penne pasta.
- When your pasta is almost done, heat a medium sized pan on medium heat and add a 1/2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Once heated, add the arugula and saute for 3-4 minutes or until wilted.
- Add the drained and cooked pasta to the pan. Then add 2-3 tbsp of the pesto you made earlier. Stir until fully combined.
- Serve and enjoy!