Before I went 100% plant-based my go-to was always a caesar salad at any restaurant. After becoming vegan I realized one of the most important things about being vegan – you don’t need to give up your favourite foods to eat cruelty-free! Pretty much any food or dessert dish can be “veganized”, if you put in the time and effort! And that’s exactly what I did for this vegan version of a kale caesar salad. Loaded with tangy lemon and savoury garlic, no animals were harmed in the making of this delicious salad!
Makes: 3-4 servings
Total time: 45 minutes
What you will need:
For the salad:
- 5 cups tightly packed and lightly shredded kale
- 2 cups lightly shredded red cabbage
- 1.5 cups chickpeas (canned)
To shred the kale and cabbage, I used a food processor. See directions.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
For the parmesan cheeze:
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/8 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/8 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
For the garlic caesar dressing:
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1.5 tbsp tahini paste
- 1/2 garlic head or 4 cloves (roasted)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Start by preheating your oven to 400F, you will be roasting your chickpeas and garlic first. To roast your garlic, slice the top of your garlic open and drizzle the inside with 1 tsp olive oil. Wrap your garlic completely in tin foil, ensuring that your garlic is upright so the oil doesn’t drip out. Next, combine your chickpeas with 1 tsp olive oil and 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper. Place your chickpeas on a baking tray, alongside the garlic wrapped in tin foil, and roast both in the oven for 40 minutes.
- While you’re waiting for your garlic and chickpeas, you can prepare your other ingredients. Start with shredding your kale and cabbage. I used a food processor to do this, on minimal speed and only for a few seconds – but you can also do this by hand. Once done, set aside in a large bowl.
- To prepare your parmesan cheeze, combine your walnuts, nutritional yeast, hemp hearts, lemon juice and pink salt in a food processor (or blender) and pulse on medium-high speed for 30 seconds to a minute, or until a nice texture has formed. Set aside once done.
- To prepare your garlic caesar dressing you will need to wait until your garlic is done roasting. Once your garlic and chickpeas are done, remove both from the oven. Place your chickpeas in a bowl and set aside. Let your garlic cool down for a few minutes, and then with a spoon, scoop out the cloves. You will only need approx. 4 cloves, or half the head, for the dressing, save the other cloves for later. In a food processor (or blender), combine your vegan mayo, lemon juice, tahini paste, roasted garlic cloves, olive oil, pink salt and black pepper, and pulse on medium-high for 30 seconds to a minute.
- You can now combine your caesar dressing, parmesan cheeze, and roasted chickpeas with your shredded kale and cabbage mixture. Mix well!
- When you are ready to dig in, scoop up your salad, and top with the other roasted garlic cloves and fresh lemon zest! (optional)