There is nothing better than having a big bowl of chili in the winter! I make this one on the regular. This chili is packed with protein and delicious flavours. It is perfect by itself or as a topping on nachos!
Eating chili is a great way to get in beans, a super heart healthy food. Beans are low in fat, they help balance blood sugar, they lower your risk of getting cancer, they are super convenient and they are wallet-friendly. So get cooking!
Makes: 4-6 servings
- 1 onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 red or orange pepper (diced)
- 1 zucchini (diced)
- 1 carrot (cubed)
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup canned corn (drained and rinsed)
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Dash of pepper
- Tortilla chips
- Dairy-free sour cream
- In a large pot, saute your onion and garlic in a drop of water for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the pepper, zucchini and carrot to the pot and heat for another 5 minutes.
- Add your tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, lentils, beans and corn.
- Stir everything together until fully combined.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Stir in all of your spices.
- Cook on low for 1.5-2 hours, depending on how long it takes for your carrots to soften. Mine took 2 hours. Make sure you continue to stir the whole time, otherwise it will stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Serve by itself, on nachos, or in burritos. Enjoy!