I feel like mac and cheese is something everyone grew up with. It was an easy and delicious thing to make, so it was a go-to for some people.
Right before I went vegan I struggled to give up cheese. I think most do, because it is addictive (literally!). But when I realized the cruelties that went on in the dairy industry, and how unhealthy cheese actually is for our bodies, I decided it was time to give it up.
I’ve been (dairy) cheese-free for two years and I am still alive! I never crave it, possibly because I think of where it came from, but also because there are a number of plant-based alternatives. You can either purchase pre-made cheeses or make your own like I did here!
I now call it “cheeze” so people know the difference. 😉
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked)
- 1 large or 2 small potatoes (cubed)
- 1 carrot (cubed)
- 1.25 cups almond milk
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp earth balance butter
- 1 cup cooked macaroni (or more if making a bigger portion)
- Soak your cashews for 1-2 hours (or overnight) in hot water. I boiled a tea kettle and poured it over the cashews for 2 hours.
- Boil your potato and carrot for 20 minutes (or until fork-tender).
- Cook your macaroni according to the package.
- Once your cashews have been soaked for the right amount of time, drain them.
- In a blender or food processor, place the cashews, potato, carrot, almond milk, onion powder, nutritional yeast and paprika. Blend on high until there are no lumps. If needed, add a bit more almond milk.
- In a small pot, melt the butter on medium heat.
- Add your blended cheeze sauce. Stir repeatedly until heated throughout.
- Pour as much as you’d like over the macaroni and enjoy!