The first year I went vegan I ate mostly a whole foods plant based diet. I never tried the faux meats because meat grossed me out and I felt the texture was too similar.
Now that I have been vegan for over two years, I am still sticking to mostly a whole foods plant based diet, which is a good thing because it’s so healthy for you, but I also have been experimenting more. I’ve been trying more Gardein products lately, and I have to say, they are quite awesome! It’s so nice knowing that these options are out there for people who are new to this lifestyle. It really helps people transition!
The Gardein fishless filets actually have a fish-like smell, and they look similar to the real thing too. I decided to whip up a vegan tartar sauce and make fish tacos!
Makes: 1-2 servings
What you’ll need:
- 2 pieces of Gardein fishless filets
- Soft taco shells
- Green onion
- Kale-cabbage slaw (prepackaged)
Vegan Tartar Sauce
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tsp capers (chopped small)
- 1 tsp chives (chopped small)
- 2 tsp sweet relish
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Dash of pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Mix together tartar sauce ingredients. Place in fridge until you are ready to use.
- Bake the Gardein fishless filets according to the package.
- Cut up as much of the lettuce, avocado and green onion you want to use.
- Heat up the soft taco shells for 20-30 seconds in the microwave.
- When the filets are done, cut each of them into three or four pieces.
- Layer the tacos as followed: shell, lettuce, filets, avocado, green onion, slaw, tartar sauce.
- Fold in the sides and enjoy!