After making the lifestyle switch to veganism, I worried I’d never be able to make my favourite foods anymore, including my mom’s famous blueberry muffins. Boy was I wrong.
A few weeks ago, my mom gave me her recipe book and I found her blueberry muffin recipe. I read through it and made some adjustments and decided to give it a go.
When they came out of the oven, I was shocked at how good they looked… but the real question was: did they taste good? With both my nan and mom watching, I cut through the finished product and was amazed. They tasted even better than before!
My nan was a chef back in her day, and my mom is an incredible baker, so knowing that both of them approved made me so excited!
These blueberry muffins are truly delicious. Make a big batch and freeze them, eat them as a snack or distribute them to everyone you know to show them how delicious eating vegan can be!
What you’ll need:
- 1 stick earth balance butter (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp milled flax with 6 tbsp water)
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (around 3)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Cream the room temperature butter and sugar with an electric mixer.
- Add the flax eggs.
- Stir in the dry ingredients.
- Add the banana, almond milk, vanilla and apple cider vinegar and mix thoroughly.
- Carefully fold in the blueberries.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes (depending on how hot your oven is). If a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean, they are done.
- Let them cool for 10-15 minutes and then remove them from the muffin pan. Let them cool for another 20-30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!